Sakhi Executive Director Purvi Shah moderated a panel discussion titled “Cultivating the Next Generation of Leaders” that was hosted by Asian Americans for Equality, Inc., on Nov. 14th as part of the 2008 Asian American Community Development Conference.
The four panelists at the afternoon session were: Jeremy Liu, Executive Director, Asian Community Development Corporation; Anthony Ng, Deputy Director of Policy and Advocacy, United Neighborhood Houses; Linda Sarsour, Acting Director, Arab American Association of New York; and Haeyoung Yoon, Executive Director, Committee Against Anti-Asian Violence.
Purvi directed and framed important and revealing discussions about the meaning of change, the impact of leadership, the power of community and the value of influences among the four panelists, who highlighted their own experiences as leaders and activists to show both what is possible and what remains to be done.
Below are several audio clips taken from the event. To listen, please right click a file, save to desktop/file, and then play with your music software of choice once the download is complete.
- Purvi briefly introduces the panelists.
- Anthony explains why he values collaborative leadership.
- Haeyoung talks about community organizing in the aftermath of President-elect Obama’s victory.
- Jeremy discusses how a change of environment opened him up to new issues.
- Linda recounts the remarkable get-out-the-vote campaign she spearheaded.
- Haeyoung talks about a successful neighborhood tenant campaign she helped organize.