Join our Year-End Campaign!
Padma (name changed for confidentiality) came to Sakhi for South Asian Women for help. Although she had lived in the U.S. for more than 20 years, she was not allowed to take the subway, complete her education, or simply have control over her life. Every day she experienced physical abuse at the hands of her husband, and struggled to protect her children from the violence within her home.
But when he abandoned her family, she found Sakhi. She enrolled in our ESL and financial literacy workshops and sought legal assistance through our legal clinics.
She applied for a scholarship through our Swarna Chalasani Scholarship Fund and received support to complete her nursing certification. She obtained a job. She now can communicate proficiently in English. “Because of Sakhi, I can look forward. I can see a future for me and my family.”
We work with one woman, one precious life at a time.
Our impact is huge: in a sample of 75 of our active cases, women came to Sakhi with an average annual income of $4,500. After two years of working with us, their income grew 300% – to an average of $20,000 per year. These results enable them to achieve self-sufficiency, to provide for their families, and to feel confident.
*For best results for video, please watch on a computer or laptop. Sound doesn’t work as well on smartphones.
In this giving season, when you consider how to maximize your charitable gifts, give back to your community by giving to Sakhi. We work in every borough of New York City, and we have helped women from all walks of life to achieve empowerment and safety.
- $50 enables one woman to attend our monthly support groups and build a network of support.
- $75 helps one woman to obtain food stamps to provide for herself and her family.
- $100 enables one woman a month of travel to access services in our confidential space or at any of our off-site family justice center locations.
- $250 supports one woman in obtaining legal immigration status through our legal clinics.
- $500 provides one woman with the ability to complete our 6-week ESL course.
- $1,000 helps one woman to obtain custody over her children.
- $1,500 enables one woman to complete her higher education or vocational goals for one cycle through our scholarship fund.
Any amount you give will raise hope and transform the lives of countless women and children. We have made it easy to give. You can donate by clicking here or the donate now button on the right of this page. Remember, your donation is 100% tax deductible.
Tiloma Jayasinghe, Executive Director